Beginning Ugh!nother School Year

That's according to my eight year old. 

He has been having a fun-filled summer and did not want to go back.  He went so far as to tell me that he did not even want to talk about going back to school.  Yet, I had to remind him that we needed to go shopping for school supplies, definitely not on his priority list! 

Stressing about the start of it has turned him into a night owl in that he has been having trouble sleeping.  Not good, since I use that time for myself. Has anyone else gone through this?  I have to rub his back just to get him to sleep and by then he's so exhausted, because it's 11 o'clock, it works quickly.  If this continues, he's going to fall asleep at his desk.

Because of obvious concern, after his first day I asked him, "How was your first day?".  He said, "Awesome!".  Believe me when I tell you how surprised I was to hear that after he had been stressing about it for a week.  I know that fitting in and not knowing how your teacher will react to you are very big things that worry him.  I told him that he would see his friends from last year and we had spoken to our neighbor who had the same teacher the year before.  She gave her a glowing review and let us know that she was tough but fair.  Turns out she is nice as well, since my son says he likes her.  Big hurdle to get over.  He is also sitting next to a friend of his from last year's class.  They both enjoy Pokémon and will have lots to talk about over recess and lunch.

Just the fact that his attitude has changed after one day has taken a load off of my shoulders.  I can only relax a little while after all, homework will be coming shortly.  So, Ugh!, another year of homework-checking for me.

Whoopee!! 

Comments

Popular Posts