Making a List...Friend or Foe?

Good Evening Everyone,

I have been pondering the idea of making a list for awhile and here is what I learned.  Doing so can be such a dreaded task.  It reminds of you of all the things you have not yet accomplished.  It just feels like you are setting yourself up for failure.  Depending on the length of it, it could feel like you will never reach the end.  I know that for most of us, it is something just to be avoided and unfortunately, we still hope for the best anyway.

I never used to make lists.  I was always able to remember what I needed to do and then get it done.  Now, my life is so busy that I find I have to go through this arduous task.  Believe me, it is well worth the effort.  For example, I had started a list that consisted of twelve different tasks.  I was able to complete half of it in about two months.  I have since added to it and it is back up to twelve again.  A few of them are going to require longer complete times, but they are always there to remind me.

Some of my larger projects I have broken down into smaller, easy to chew, pieces.  They are small steps that lead up to a big finish.  It also helps to add a timeline to each project.  To demonstrate, I have a kitchen ceiling that needs repainting.  It is not a big space and I know it will take me an hour to complete, so I will go ahead and schedule an hour of time on the weekend to finish it.   Once done, I can cross it off the list.

There are many different ways and places you can store your list.  You can do it the old fashioned way, like I do, and keep a paper list somewhere you always see it.  Mine happens to be where I make out my grocery list.  It's not glamorous but it works for me.  It's just as easy to keep it on your computer, phone or tablet.  Just make sure you set a pop-up reminder because it would be so easy to ignore it and "swipe" it away.  You can also enlist the help of a friend or family member.  Having someone cheer you on is a good way to keep you motivated.  And don't forget, treat yourself! Knowing there's a reward at the end would also keep you going.

So, my friends, what do you think?  I would love to hear your comments.  Is this something you do?  Do you find it a hindrance or a help?  I like to think the latter.

Till next time...Lisa

Comments

Popular Posts