'Tis the Season

Hello Everyone,

Happy Holidays!! 

I am reminded of what it is like every year this time of year when preparing for the holidays.  Most of the time, everyone is consumed with the materialistic aspect of it.  Buying that perfect gift that will make the receiver gush about it for days.  Spending on groceries to make the most delicious of meals for the party that follows.  Having the perfect tree adorn your living or family room.  Decorating the outside of the house and possibly trying to outdo your neighbors.  (Everyone does it, just doesn't like to admit it.)

Believe me when I say that I am not criticizing but just pointing out that there are more things to be concerned with than keeping up with the Joneses.  We're all guilty of it, so am I.  But this year, I'm doing my best to turn things around.  I'm focusing on being there more for my family.  Spending quality time and making the most of it.  Being a friend when someone is in need.  Helping others and not looking for anything in return.

When decorating, we didn't buy anything new.  We used last year's ornaments and decorations.  We put handmade decorations on the tree along with ornaments that I've had for years.  It makes for a wonderful display that my son just loves.  He had made the most decisions as to where each shiny ball, icicle and glass ornament went.  There are quite a few that he has made over the years in school.  Those are the ones I appreciate the most. 

We will be making cookies for Santa this weekend and will probably make quite the mess doing it, but it will be fun.  He will put them out the night before and I know he will have a hard time falling asleep that night.  He has been counting down the days. 

I know that most people don't like to broach the religious aspect of Christmas, but I will touch on it briefly.  My son and I attend church regularly and Christmas Eve is no exception.  I love the feeling of being welcome to a place where there is no judgment and can relax, enjoy the beautiful music and knowing there is peace inside.  This is a time of year for spiritual rebirth and starting anew.  I always feel refreshed afterwards.  I'm not saying that everyone should attend, but if you are alone or are looking for something to do, give it a chance.  It won't hurt.

My hope is that you all have a wonderful holiday!  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say,


I hope that yours is all it can be for you and your families.  God Bless.

Till next time...Lisa

Comments

Popular Posts