Way Back When...Part IV
Hello Everyone,
I thought I would continue where I left off last time. We had finally finished the downstairs apartment and were now ready to begin on our apartment. It was worse than the first but manageable.
Just like downstairs, we tried to start with the easiest rooms first. We started with the living room. It had a fireplace as well. I had painted it with the same effect I had in the first floor apartment. The style was popular at the time in that you painted with a solid color first and then sponge painted the second coat with a color that was either darker or lighter than the original coat. I opted for darker. The process really did make the fireplace look like natural stone. People were amazed when I told them it was only paint. I took to painting the entire room myself and it took all morning as it was a fairly large room. Believe me when I tell you that it is always a good idea to tape around your woodwork whether it be near the floor or around the windows. I don't know about you but I am not that neat when it comes to painting. I usually always get some on me somewhere. The ceiling was much more difficult in that it had a "wavy" look to it. Not that it was to such a large degree but if you sat there and looked at it, you would see a sort of gentle rolling. So, in order to hide it, we used texture paint to give it that "popcorn" look. We didn't have the funds to redo the entire ceiling over, so we figured this was the next best thing. Lo and behold, you did not see the "wave" once it was done. It was perfect. The only bad thing with texture paint is that it is hard to deal with. It is very stiff and dries quickly. You don't really have time to play with it. This was a job that took all day. Needless to say, I was very tired by the time we were done.
During this time, we were continuing to have chemo for my husband's cancer. It seemed to be slowing the growth of the tumor. He was actually feeling pretty good, considering. He had the okay to keep active and doing what he was doing. It was hard for me because I always had to put on a brave face. He knew it, we talked about it often, and I told him I would remain by his side through it all. It was all I could do. He was doing so well with trying to remain strong and optimistic. We had been through a lot already and felt that we could go all the way.
I hope that you don't mind that I inter-lace the two stories together, but I feel it's important in that you get to know me and what I had been through and that as I go on, it will get tougher and perhaps a little lighter depending on which parts of the story you read.
Stay on this journey with me and we will get to the end. Bear with me...it's hard. I know you understand.
Till next time...Lisa
I thought I would continue where I left off last time. We had finally finished the downstairs apartment and were now ready to begin on our apartment. It was worse than the first but manageable.
Just like downstairs, we tried to start with the easiest rooms first. We started with the living room. It had a fireplace as well. I had painted it with the same effect I had in the first floor apartment. The style was popular at the time in that you painted with a solid color first and then sponge painted the second coat with a color that was either darker or lighter than the original coat. I opted for darker. The process really did make the fireplace look like natural stone. People were amazed when I told them it was only paint. I took to painting the entire room myself and it took all morning as it was a fairly large room. Believe me when I tell you that it is always a good idea to tape around your woodwork whether it be near the floor or around the windows. I don't know about you but I am not that neat when it comes to painting. I usually always get some on me somewhere. The ceiling was much more difficult in that it had a "wavy" look to it. Not that it was to such a large degree but if you sat there and looked at it, you would see a sort of gentle rolling. So, in order to hide it, we used texture paint to give it that "popcorn" look. We didn't have the funds to redo the entire ceiling over, so we figured this was the next best thing. Lo and behold, you did not see the "wave" once it was done. It was perfect. The only bad thing with texture paint is that it is hard to deal with. It is very stiff and dries quickly. You don't really have time to play with it. This was a job that took all day. Needless to say, I was very tired by the time we were done.
During this time, we were continuing to have chemo for my husband's cancer. It seemed to be slowing the growth of the tumor. He was actually feeling pretty good, considering. He had the okay to keep active and doing what he was doing. It was hard for me because I always had to put on a brave face. He knew it, we talked about it often, and I told him I would remain by his side through it all. It was all I could do. He was doing so well with trying to remain strong and optimistic. We had been through a lot already and felt that we could go all the way.
I hope that you don't mind that I inter-lace the two stories together, but I feel it's important in that you get to know me and what I had been through and that as I go on, it will get tougher and perhaps a little lighter depending on which parts of the story you read.
Stay on this journey with me and we will get to the end. Bear with me...it's hard. I know you understand.
Till next time...Lisa
Comments
Post a Comment