Spring Cleaning?
Hello Everyone!
Just thought I'd try to disseminate the idea of "Spring Cleaning". How did it come about? According to Wikipedia, one of the theories is this:
"In North America and northern Europe, the custom found an especially practical value due to those regions' continental and wet climates. During the 19th century in America, prior to the advent of the vacuum cleaner, March was often the best time for dusting because it was getting warm enough to open windows and doors (but not warm enough for insects to be a problem), and the high winds could carry the dust out of the house. This time of year is also when coal furnaces wouldn't run and you could wash all the soot from the walls and furniture left by the furnace. For the same reason, modern rural households often use the month of March for cleaning projects involving the use of chemical products which generate fumes."
If you'd like to know more, click here. There are some other fascinating facts about how this tradition started.
During this time of year, it gets busy for a lot of people, due to this fact. I know myself that I need to start well ahead of Spring in order to be at least halfway done by then. I also like to do a Fall cleaning as well, especially since everything will be closed up tight with Winter approaching. But Spring is a time of renewal and fresh air. It is a way to breathe life back into the home and let it in from the outside.
This Spring it should be much easier for me since I have been roaming around the house looking for ways to de-clutter and re-organize. Getting things up off of the floor has made it so much easier. There are less knick-knacks to pick up and dust under. I only put out things that I want to see and will even rotate some that I haven't just to change things up a bit. It keeps the home visually interesting and sometimes sparks a memory or conversation to relive that time.
I find that this time of year also helps to better my mood and I feel lighter. There isn't all that "weight" on my shoulders and thinking about how I'm going to handle it because it's already been done. Less stress and more fun! That's my goal this year and I must say, it's working out so far. I hope it does for you too.
Till next time...Lisa
Just thought I'd try to disseminate the idea of "Spring Cleaning". How did it come about? According to Wikipedia, one of the theories is this:
"In North America and northern Europe, the custom found an especially practical value due to those regions' continental and wet climates. During the 19th century in America, prior to the advent of the vacuum cleaner, March was often the best time for dusting because it was getting warm enough to open windows and doors (but not warm enough for insects to be a problem), and the high winds could carry the dust out of the house. This time of year is also when coal furnaces wouldn't run and you could wash all the soot from the walls and furniture left by the furnace. For the same reason, modern rural households often use the month of March for cleaning projects involving the use of chemical products which generate fumes."
If you'd like to know more, click here. There are some other fascinating facts about how this tradition started.
During this time of year, it gets busy for a lot of people, due to this fact. I know myself that I need to start well ahead of Spring in order to be at least halfway done by then. I also like to do a Fall cleaning as well, especially since everything will be closed up tight with Winter approaching. But Spring is a time of renewal and fresh air. It is a way to breathe life back into the home and let it in from the outside.
This Spring it should be much easier for me since I have been roaming around the house looking for ways to de-clutter and re-organize. Getting things up off of the floor has made it so much easier. There are less knick-knacks to pick up and dust under. I only put out things that I want to see and will even rotate some that I haven't just to change things up a bit. It keeps the home visually interesting and sometimes sparks a memory or conversation to relive that time.
I find that this time of year also helps to better my mood and I feel lighter. There isn't all that "weight" on my shoulders and thinking about how I'm going to handle it because it's already been done. Less stress and more fun! That's my goal this year and I must say, it's working out so far. I hope it does for you too.
Till next time...Lisa
Comments
Post a Comment