Out of the Closet - Part Two

To continue...I had a lot of things to go through.  It wasn't easy since I did most of it myself.  I couldn't even get into the closet.  To start, I took everything out.  There were a dozen bins and boxes, all of which contained holiday decorating.  Once I had everything out, I started with the first container holding all Easter items.  Somehow, I had collected a large amount of plastic eggs; you know, the kind that hold candy and small toys.  Put those aside in a plastic bag.  There were also more baskets than one child can use.  Once that was done, I had an empty container.

Next came Halloween.  There were glow sticks, costumes, makeup, decorations for the house including lights and window stickers.  Went through and got rid of some of the makeup as it had been started and not finished.  Checked the lights and found that a lot of them didn't work anymore.  Put aside what wasn't wanted in another plastic bag.  Turned out to be quite a bit.  Narrowed it down to one container instead of two very large ones.

Now, I don't know about you, but I have a lot of Christmas decorations.  Or should I say, had.  I had about ten boxes.  I narrowed it down to half that.  Sometimes you just don't realize how many strands of lights you have until you go through them.  About half of the ones I tested did not even work.  I gave a bunch to another family member so they could light up their home this coming holiday.  I had about four boxes of decorations just for the Christmas tree alone.  Most of those decorations were at least fifteen years old.  After carefully looking at them, I realized I had to part with them.  They were dull with age and just didn't have that sparkle anymore.  Besides, I had received a bunch of much nicer decorations recently.  I have some candles that I am actually going to use this year which will also leave some much needed space available.  There were some winter floras like garland and poinsettia clusters that I am no longer using.  All of the items I decided not to keep went into yet another plastic bag.

After going through everything, I was able to condense the holidays in the boxes and stack them so they made sense and could easily get to.  The cleaning items I referred to in my previous blog are now sitting on newly installed shelves in the closet, also easy to get to and see.  I am now able to walk into the closet and get whatever I need.  The kitchen items I referred to like the over-sized pans and small appliances are also in there.

There were some other miscellaneous items that went into another plastic bag.  I imagine you are wondering what happened to all of these plastic bags.

Well, one nice Summer Saturday, my son and I decided to hold an impromptu yard sale.  I gave him a sign to stand in the front yard as cars passed by.  Our first customer, believe it or not, was a police officer.  At first, I thought he was going to shut us down.  I walked over to his car as he rolled down the window.  To my surprise, he gave my son a couple dollars for the cause.  It was so sweet of him to do that.  My son was so happy.  We had another customer come by who admired my son's persistence and proceeded to buy almost half of the items we had on the table.  We had a couple more customers that day.  Turned out to be quite profitable.

To celebrate, I took my son to the park and treated him to ice cream.  He said it was the best day ever!  I agreed.

Till next time...Lisa




Comments

Popular Posts