Way Back When
Hello Everyone,
I thought I would share with you my experiences when I was younger. I was dating at the time, the man who would be my first husband and things were going pretty well. Before we were married, we had discovered, quite painfully, that he had cancer. Looking back on those days, I realize that I was in denial about how serious it was. But, we pushed on with our plans anyway. Things had calmed down with his diagnosis as he had surgery and we thought we were over the worst of it.
We decided to buy our first home. We became aware of this house through a family member who knew the owner. We met with her and she decided she wanted to sell to us. I guess we made a good impression. It was a two-family that was solid but needed some tender loving care. It had a small front yard and backyard with a garage. The basement was also full-size with enough space for each apartment to have it's own storage area.
Being that I had never done any kind of remodeling and neither did my husband, we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Turns out he was very smart about his approach and researched every project before starting. We made some mistakes but learned from them. Since we had two apartments to get ready, we decided to start on the first floor. That was our money-maker. We had to get that rented ASAP. We didn't even live in the house for the first two months. Although, it felt like we did because we spent 90% of our time getting it ready. Some of our family members were able to help us along the way. It was exciting for us and for them, especially when we saw the outcome. We were very appreciative.
I'll get into some of the details of our work in my next post.
Till next time...Lisa
I thought I would share with you my experiences when I was younger. I was dating at the time, the man who would be my first husband and things were going pretty well. Before we were married, we had discovered, quite painfully, that he had cancer. Looking back on those days, I realize that I was in denial about how serious it was. But, we pushed on with our plans anyway. Things had calmed down with his diagnosis as he had surgery and we thought we were over the worst of it.
We decided to buy our first home. We became aware of this house through a family member who knew the owner. We met with her and she decided she wanted to sell to us. I guess we made a good impression. It was a two-family that was solid but needed some tender loving care. It had a small front yard and backyard with a garage. The basement was also full-size with enough space for each apartment to have it's own storage area.
Being that I had never done any kind of remodeling and neither did my husband, we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Turns out he was very smart about his approach and researched every project before starting. We made some mistakes but learned from them. Since we had two apartments to get ready, we decided to start on the first floor. That was our money-maker. We had to get that rented ASAP. We didn't even live in the house for the first two months. Although, it felt like we did because we spent 90% of our time getting it ready. Some of our family members were able to help us along the way. It was exciting for us and for them, especially when we saw the outcome. We were very appreciative.
I'll get into some of the details of our work in my next post.
Till next time...Lisa
Comments
Post a Comment