Daily Journal - Day Seventeen
Hello Everyone,
I hope you had a good day. Mine was really nothing special. I did want to share my thoughts on something.
I don't want to make the following a political issue. It's just something that I've been thinking about like most parents. It is disturbing and alarming. I am talking about children taking matters into their own hands and doing it in the most violent of ways. I am sure you know what I am talking about...guns.
Most children do not realize the devastation it causes. Some do, unfortunately. By then, it's too late.
I remember when I was younger, if you got into a scrape, you took care of it by telling an adult or, and this may be dating myself, by fighting it out in the playground after school. Either way, nobody was seriously hurt. And yes, there was bullying then too. I was subject to it, just like almost every other child. It was how you dealt with it that defined you. I chose to defend myself and it worked out well, not by taking extreme measures but by doing back what was done to me. Out of all those times, it worked. Most of my defense was verbal, I didn't have to raise a hand. Other times, if you ignored the other person completely, they backed off. They can't get to you if you don't pay attention to them. It's all the bullies crave...the attention. I don't think most children or adults understand that. The victims that I've read about don't seem to get that either. I'm not blaming them, but sometimes you have to take steps on your own to protect yourself. Someone else is not always going to be there to help you.
For example, if someone is harassing you online, do not log on. Nobody says you have to read it. Change your e-mail address, or any other site that you are public on. Change your privacy controls. There are ways to avoid these creeps. Change your phone number. They can't text you if they don't have your number. Your true friends will not share it with anyone else.
Parents also have to maintain control over any weapons they may have in their homes. Keep it out of reach and out of sight. Locked up is the best way and don't leave the key or password around for easy access. I'm not saying you shouldn't have them because it is everyone's right, but be safe with them. Accidents and tragedies can be avoided. Maintain open communication with your children. Ask them about their school day. Parents know instinctively when their children are feeling down. I know I do. Talk to them. Let them know they can tell you anything, anytime. That is something I share with my son every day. He knows he can come to me with any problem and I will help him work it out.
My son knows I love him and would do anything for him. I hope you have that with your children. It's one of the best ways I know to keep them safe and happy.
Take care and till next time...Lisa
I hope you had a good day. Mine was really nothing special. I did want to share my thoughts on something.
I don't want to make the following a political issue. It's just something that I've been thinking about like most parents. It is disturbing and alarming. I am talking about children taking matters into their own hands and doing it in the most violent of ways. I am sure you know what I am talking about...guns.
Most children do not realize the devastation it causes. Some do, unfortunately. By then, it's too late.
I remember when I was younger, if you got into a scrape, you took care of it by telling an adult or, and this may be dating myself, by fighting it out in the playground after school. Either way, nobody was seriously hurt. And yes, there was bullying then too. I was subject to it, just like almost every other child. It was how you dealt with it that defined you. I chose to defend myself and it worked out well, not by taking extreme measures but by doing back what was done to me. Out of all those times, it worked. Most of my defense was verbal, I didn't have to raise a hand. Other times, if you ignored the other person completely, they backed off. They can't get to you if you don't pay attention to them. It's all the bullies crave...the attention. I don't think most children or adults understand that. The victims that I've read about don't seem to get that either. I'm not blaming them, but sometimes you have to take steps on your own to protect yourself. Someone else is not always going to be there to help you.
For example, if someone is harassing you online, do not log on. Nobody says you have to read it. Change your e-mail address, or any other site that you are public on. Change your privacy controls. There are ways to avoid these creeps. Change your phone number. They can't text you if they don't have your number. Your true friends will not share it with anyone else.
Parents also have to maintain control over any weapons they may have in their homes. Keep it out of reach and out of sight. Locked up is the best way and don't leave the key or password around for easy access. I'm not saying you shouldn't have them because it is everyone's right, but be safe with them. Accidents and tragedies can be avoided. Maintain open communication with your children. Ask them about their school day. Parents know instinctively when their children are feeling down. I know I do. Talk to them. Let them know they can tell you anything, anytime. That is something I share with my son every day. He knows he can come to me with any problem and I will help him work it out.
My son knows I love him and would do anything for him. I hope you have that with your children. It's one of the best ways I know to keep them safe and happy.
Take care and till next time...Lisa
Comments
Post a Comment